On March 16, 1898 three acres were purchased from John and Mary Selman to erect the Galilee Baptist Church. Rev. C.C. Bufford was called as the first pastor.
Later, Rev. Small was called as pastor. On November 10, 1912 two more acres of land were purchased from Mr. and Mrs. H.C. Clark.
In the year 1920, the original building was torn down and rebuilt under the leadership of Rev. Isril Stephens.
Rev. J.W. Presley and Rev. M.T Armstead were later called as pastors. Rev. Armstead served until death.
Our next pastors were S.T. Scott, Rev. G. Grant, and Rev. J. C. Madkins. Rev. Madkins served until death.
The next pastors were Rev. L. K. Solomon, Rev. N. Williams, Rev. I. W. Hickman, Rev. A. R. Harris, and Rev. C. Starr. Each of them making their own contribution to the growth of the church.
In 1963 our present church repaired and modern facilities were installed. One June 17, 1966 the church pews were purchased.
Pastors Please Cook and A. C. Parker were our next leaders. In 1967 due to a boundary error one acre of land was repurchased. In doing so, Galilee B. C. now owned a total of five acres of land. Part of this land was the Galilee Community School campus.
On October 29, 1967, Rev. Bobby Land, Sr. was elected as our pastor. The following year, the cafeteria was added. Other improvements in 1970 included adding paneled walled, light fixtures, and the ceiling was updated. During the same year, the pastor’s study was added. The new piano along with seats for the choir were purchased in 1971. Other improvements for that year included new carpet, a PA system, pulpit furniture and central air conditioning and heating. During Rev. Land’s tenure at the church the greatest stone of all stones was laid, the corner stone. Rev. Land resigned October 27, 1974.
Rev. E. J. Booker was installed as pastor February 2, 1975. In April of 1975 we purchased our organ. August 26, 1977 Rev. Booker resigned.
Rev. Joe Lovely and Rev. Protho served as interim pastors
April 14, 1979 Rev. M.O. Gerald was elected and resigned September 1980 to continue his calling elsewhere.
Rev. John R. Hinton was elected December 17, 1980. In the summer of 1982 restrooms, ladies lounge, and baptizing pool were added. In 1985 a new PA system was installed along with a foyer and concrete sidewalks. Rev. Hinton resigned November 17, 1985.
Rev. Ricks was installed as our pastor in February 1986. More carpet was installed in1986 and in 1988 handrails were installed. Doors were reinforced and the parking lot was paved. Rev. Ricks received a calling nearer to his home and in December 1988 resigned.
Rev. Clayter served as interim.
Rev. Anthony Williams was elected as our pastor in October 1989 and has remained steadfast. In August 2005, we opened a new wing at our facilities that included a new pastor’s study, commercial kitchen, classrooms and handicap accessible restrooms. A glass enclosure was added to our baptizing pool. We acquired additional frontage property with a property exchange with neighboring property owners. In 2014 we purchased our first marquee to enhance our outreach ministry.
Over the course of his leadership, Pastor Williams has ordained four ministers: Rev. Joe Bayonne Sr., Rev. Vincent Bowie, Rev. Randy Ector, and Rev. Byron Henderson. Rev. Roy Warren joined as an associate minister in 2019. With God as our Chief Shepherd and Rev. Williams as our pastor, we look forward to higher heights.
Deceased deacons of the Galilee Baptist Church are Marcus Johnson, Elax Hick, W. P. Dean, J. A. Richardson, Henry Broughton, Ed Coats, Finley Cicero, Arthur Houston, Kager Jones, Regan Yarbrough, Robert Crow, U. V. Dean, L. S. Byars, R. G. Byars, Frank Scott, Sr., Roland Cicero, Thelma Runnels, P. E. Wooten, Thurman Morris, Primous O’Quin, Joe Henderson, Sonny Ross, Samuel Cicero, Cleophus Morgan.
The present deacon staff includes Claude Ector, Jevon Ford, F. L. Scott, and Johnny Williams.